Monday, July 25, 2005

The Trickster Crosses My Path


Yesterday evening, I was hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains and received a distinct present. The hike was one I was privately celebrating, for I knew I would cross the 50-mile threshold (since I began obsessively tallying my mileage last month). About three quarters of a mile up the mountain, in a section of dense thicket that encloses the narrow trail, I spotted a nice looking dog, about 40 pounds with light brown and white streaked fur. It was coming down the trail about 20 yards ahead of me.

I cursed at first, thinking "Here's yet another unleashed dog with an owner who has ignored, or dismissed, the strict NO DOGS rule in Topanga State Park."

The canine stopped to look at me and then it slinked, casually, sideways into the brush.

Quickly, I realized this was no dog, but a rather magnificent Coyote, going about its business.

As I trudged on, I felt compelled to share my sighting with other hikers, but when the moment presented itself, I said nothing. I suppose I just didn't want to rat out my new acquaintance.

Later, I read that many California Coyotes are only about 20 pounds (which seems impossibly small), but this one was significantly larger. Evidently, some grow up to 40-50 lbs.

On my walks this past month, I've spotted a large Gopher Snake (slithered at my heels), a swimming, and scowling, Garter Snake, several California Legless Lizards or Southwestern Thread (Blind) Snakes (I can't decide), a family of California Quail (with 3 chicks), Jack Rabbits, and various other critters.

But on my 50-mile hike, I encountered what I consider to be the best beastie so far.

Canis latrans. The Coyote. Cousin to Canis familiaris, e.g. everyone's best friend.

In Amerindian mythology, the Coyote is the trickster -- the clever, somewhat bewitching, rule-breaker.

A wise friend of mine from northern Michigan periodically reminds me to pay attention. She's a big picture kind of person.

I'm paying attention Ginger, I swear to God I'm paying attention!

More on California coyotes from DesertUSA.com: http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_cycot.html

The Coyote photo above is courtesy of DesertUSA.Com

cheers,


©2005 zombieH



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home